Please contact Thomas Pruett at 605.639.5269 or via email with questions.
Policies & Fees
Events shall be deemed necessary of application, contract, appropriate deposits & fees as the discretion of the elders & ministers based on the nature of the event.
- General security deposit: $300.00 due at least two weeks before the event.
- This deposit shall not be cashed & will be returned within two weeks after event if facilities are kept in proper order.
- If cleaning/repair is needed the appropriate funds shall be kept & any remaining shall be returned.
- Usage fee for set-up, rehearsal, & wedding: $250.00
- Usage fee for set-up, rehearsal, wedding, & reception: $300.00
- 50% discount is offered to couples that have proof of having received premarital counsling
- Saturday weddings & receptions must be cleaned up by 10:00pm that night.
- Please make separate checks (deposit/wedding) to Northern Hills Church of Christ & send to PO Box 26; Spearfish, SD 57783, or give to a church official.
- Flowers/Candles: Please use appropriate containers for flower arrangements & under candles to protect building carpets & furnishings.
- Rice or bird seed is permitted but must be swept off the sidewalks & paths.
- Alcoholic beverages are NOT permitted in the building or on the grounds.
- Though not preferred, smoking is restricted to OUTSIDE the building, and all butts must be cleaned up.
- Use of kitchen is allowed but must be cleaned up.
- Tables & chairs used and any moved decorations, must be cleaned and returned to the appropriate positions after the events.
- Please assign someone other than the bride & groom for cleanup tasks.
- Clean-Up Checklist
- Floors Vacummed
- Floors mopped
- Bathrooms cleaned (cleaned & mopped)
- Anything moved returned
- Trash Taken out
- OPTION: Pay a $75 cleaning fee
- Please check the appropriate box above for this option, & make sure you have spoken to a church official about it
Please contact a church official after clean-up or departure to inform them the building is ready for a final inspection.
Note: For Northern Hills Church of Christ members as defined below, all fees are waived.
Northern Hills Church of Christ Wedding Policy
18 April 2016
As a body of believers we celebrate and practice love: the love of Jesus, his love for us and our
love for each other. We encourage and support those of our number who wish to be married and
form a family, rooting both their marriage and family in Christ.
Marriage is a sacred covenant that holds a special place in our faith and practice. It is a holy act,
the union of two believing souls for a lifelong journey together with each other and with Our
Father in heaven. As with all sacred acts (the Act of Communion, Baptism, the Gathering and
such like) our faith requires us to form procedures and rituals around this rite. As heirs of the
American Restoration Movement, also known as the Stone-Campbell Movement, we have a
nearly 200 year history of faith and practice that includes our beliefs about marriage.
We believe that God purposed marriage to be between one man and one woman who are
committed to the permanence of the marriage vow. At Northern Hills Church of Christ we have
always practiced careful discernment concerning whom we shall marry in our facility and in our
church (which, while often viewed as the same are not so viewed in our faith). We only allow
weddings at this facility (or elsewhere if performed by one of our ministry staff or shepherds)
between a man and a woman who have been examined for their faith, their commitment to God
and to each other, and for their suitability for marriage. This examination may take the form of
pre-marital counseling, meetings with ministry staff and shepherds, or interviews with the
candidates about their history and current status.
We reserve the right to refuse to officiate a wedding or support it by allowing the use of our
facility, members, or staff before or during the ceremony. We are obligated to love one another
but our faith in Jesus and our sincere and long held beliefs about marriage and family sometimes
requires us to turn down requests to perform or participate in a wedding ceremony. Such a
refusal to participate should not be looked upon as a rejection of the persons who want to be
married. Our love for them is commanded by Jesus and we joyfully obey that command; but love
does not require our participation in a rite or event that goes against other deeply held aspects of
No minister shall be disciplined for refusing a wedding if their conscience prohibits their
participation or if their participation would go against the historical faith of this Christian body.
Membership at Northern Hills means that you are one of the believers in Jesus who meet at this
congregation who have placed themselves under the collective wisdom of our shepherds. We
expect members to live in harmony with our vision, mission, and the shepherds’ gentle guidance.
To download a printable version of this entire policy & contract, click NHCC Building & Wedding Use Policy.